CO2ZERO conditions 1. General
1.1 These terms & conditions apply to the carbon-dioxide (also known as CO₂) compensation service of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, hereafter CO2ZERO.
- The terms & conditions of CO2ZERO are in addition to the general conditions of carriage for passengers and baggage.
- CO2ZERO is only possible in combination with a KLM travel document or tickets in which at least one KLM flight is included.
- All KLM flights, regardless point of origin, point of sale or embarkation point can be made CO2ZERO.
1.2 CO2ZERO is a voluntary CO₂ compensation service which enables the passenger to contribute to reducing their flight-related carbon emissions.
- CO2ZERO is strictly personal; passengers travelling together can choose on an individual basis to compensate.
2. Eligible flights
2.1 Operated flights, i.e., flown by KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Air France, Delta Air Lines, Kenya Airways.
2.2 All code share flights with KLM flight number and operated by JJ, GF, TE, EI, UX, XM, AZ, MN, CZ, MH, KQ, QX, AS, CO, AM, DL, EV, OH, F8, PS, SU, OK, IG, MA, CY.
3.1 Emission values of KLM, Air France and Delta Air Lines are based upon actual emission values in relation to actual fuel burn.
3.2 Emission values of operating partners are based upon generic values submitted by aircraft manufacturers (i.e., Boeing, Airbus).
4.1 CO₂ emission is calculated for all the flights in your booking. Per flight the calculation is based upon the type of aircraft used, the distance flown and the historical load factor of that specific flight. The calculation method and fuel consumption are tested annually by KPMG in France.
5.1 CO2ZERO uses Gold Standard certified emission reductions to help finance the development of clean energy projects in developing countries.
6. Consumer price for compensation
6.1 The passenger’s price to compensate through CO2ZERO is equal to the purchasing price of the Gold Standard emission rights. All collected compensation money will be used to compensate through certified emission reductions. All overhead costs and investments related to the compensation scheme will be absorbed by KLM Royal Dutch Airlines.
6.2 Twice a year the price for compensation can be adjusted based upon the purchasing price of new certified emission reductions.
7.1 If, due to a reason over which you have no control, you cannot make use of your flight, you may be entitled to a refund of the amount you paid.
7.2 In the following cases, you are entitled to a full refund for your CO2ZERO compensation money:
- KLM cancelled your flight.
- You missed your connecting intercontinental KLM flight following a flight operated by KLM, Delta, Air France or Kenya Airways.
If any of these reasons apply to your situation, please continue completing the refund form .
7.3 You can only request a refund through KLM.com.
8.1 The accountancy organisation KPMG in France has established that KLM’s calculation methods are in line with the international guidelines for CO₂ emissions.